The Kalamazoo Concert Band's 2020 Youth Soloist Competition was held on Sunday, February 9th at the Dalton Center on Western Michigan University's campus in Kalamazoo. Nine regional high school music students participated.
Congratulations to this year's winner Caleb Piersma, a bassoonist from Otsego.
Runner up is Haley Pauzus, a tubist from Lake Orion. A special "THANK YOU" to all of the participants who performed at the Competition. Your preparation, performance, and professionalism were greatly appreciated not only by the judges but by the audience as well!
Thank you judges and volunteers for all your help, and thank you to WMU for use of the Dalton Center!
- 2019 - Michael Keeler, Portage Central High School
- 2018 - Emily Dudd, Oboe, Three Rivers High School
- 2017 - Lauren Whitaker, Flute, Spring Lake
- 2016 - Allison Haltenhoff, Flute, Holland
- 2015 - Brent Proseus, Trumpet, Wyoming West Michigan Home School High School
- 2014 - Jeffrey Allardyce, Alto Saxophone, Grandville High School
- 2013 - Lydia Roth, Flute, Wyoming West Michigan Home School High School
- 2012 - Lydia Roth, Flute, Wyoming West Michigan Home School High School
- 2011 - Stephanie Hegedus, Flute, Jackson High School
- 2010 - Connor Fetting, Tuba, Forest Hills Eastern High School
- 2009 - Alex Kindel, Flute, Grand Ledge High School
- 2007 - Kari Dion, Clarinet, Rockford High School
- 2006 - Hana Beloglavec, Trombone, Kalamazoo Loy Norrix High School
- 2005 - James Guitar, Alto Saxophone, Galesburg-Augusta High School
- 2004 - Will Karsten, Tuba, Kalamazoo Christian High School
- 2003 - Michele Sbordon, Flute, Grandville High School
- 2002 - Brandon Ridenour, Trumpet, Portage Northern High School
- 2001 - Nicholas Taylor, Oboe, Interlochen Arts Academy (Green Bay, WI)
- 2000 - Thomas E. Boulton, Trumpet, Big Rapids High School
- 1999 - Andrea Steves, Alto Saxophone, St. Joseph High School